Sunday, April 6, 2008

Thing 7 Online communication tools

I use email daily in my elementary schools, communicating with staff. Elementary students do not have email accounts, but they would be a very useful way to communicate with students about library materials (overdues, books or other materials they are waiting for that have come in).

I have used instant messaging a couple of times personally, talking to friends on line. It was OK, sometimes it seemed to be on the slow side. But I will contuine to use it. It just isn't my first choice.

I use SMS on my cell phone quite often again for personal things. It's a great way for family to send me messages, without the annoying ringing of a phone. It also allows me to send a message if I need to without disturbing other peoples meetings or appointments. I am sure many high school libraries use this method to communicate with students and staff. Elementary students are generally not allowed phones in school.

A fellow librarian and I talked about setting a chat session, but we have gotten so busy it hasn't happened.

I recently tried participating in a webinar. Before the presentation started I had great audio. As the presentation started I lost the audio and couldn't figure out how to get it back, so finally just exited the webinar.

No comments: